At Speckles, we are all about learning all things eyes! 👀
The eyes are an amazing part of the body and help our children learn, grow and thrive. Impress your friends with your knowledge and check out these 10 eye-mazing facts about the eyes 👏
- Our vision uses up over 80% of the brain’s processing power.
- The eyes are the only organ in our body that are more complex than the brain.
- There are over 1 million nerves connecting EACH eye to the brain.
- The retina in the eye can only detect red, blue and green but despite this the brain can distinguish over 10 million different colours.
- The iris in our eyes has roughly 256 distinct features (fingerprints only have 40).
- The eyes have the fastest muscles in our bodies. These muscles are so reactive that they automatically shut to protect us from harm.
- The eyes have OVER 100 MILLION light sensitive cells that allow the brain to see images.
- Our eyes can focus on 50 different objects every second.
- The eyes are the only organ in the body that stays the same size our entire life.
- Although babies cry from birth, they cannot produce tears until they're 6 weeks old.
Considering only 1/6 of our eye is visible to the people around us, these amazing organs have some incredibly impressive, hidden talents. This is why it is so important to protect our little ones' eyes from the sun, take steps to promote healthy eyes and get regular check-ups with a professional. Want to learn more about all things eye? Check out the EyeHub!